Our school has a large and fully equipped chess room with demo-boards, chess sets and chess clocks for all students.
Chess Lessons include instruction through a variety of methods and practice. Demonstration boards, chess programs, video tutorials and class games are some of the instructional tools used in the classroom. Worksheets at all levels are also available in the chess room for those who want to further improve their tactical skills.
All students are being taught the fundamentals of chess and they practise during their scheduled lessons.
For further improvement in the game, there are extra opportunities such as:
- Daily practice in the morning (08.30 – 08.45) and during lunch breaks (11.25 – 11.50 for grades 4-5 and 11.55 – 12.20 for grades 1-2-3).
- After school club open to all students and levels, for practice (Wednesdays 15.30 – 17.00, Teacher in charge: Asli Kara Parginos).
- An after school intermediate class (The Bishops) is for selected students who wish to improve their chess skills and participate in tournaments. This session includes lesson, practice and homework assignment. (Fridays 15.30 – 17.00, Teacher in charge: Vasileios Parginos).
- An after school coaching class (The Rooks) is for selected students who achieve success in chess tournaments and often participate in national competitions. This session includes lesson, practice and homework assignment. (Thursdays 15.30 – 17.00, Teacher in charge: Vasileios Parginos).
OFS organises tournaments and events throughout the year. Last school year we ran:
- OFS Individual Championship 2015 for all students in the Auditorium.
- Open Individual Tournament for International Schools
- Students vs Teachers match.
- Family Tournament event.
- Chess Variants day.
More than 200 OFS students participated in our tournaments.
Additionally, OFS hosted and participated in the National Inter School Tournament organised by the Singapore Chess Federation, with more than 800 students participating.
Some of our students also take part in other national or international individual tournaments.