Our school has a large and fully equipped chess room with demo-boards, chess sets and chess clocks for all students.
Chess lessons include instruction through a variety of methods and practice. Demonstration boards, chess programs, video tutorials and class games are some of the instructional tools used in the classroom. Worksheets at all levels are also available in the chess room for those who want to further improve their tactical skills.
All students are being taught the fundamentals of chess and they practise during their scheduled lessons.
For further improvement in the game, there are many extra opportunities such as:
- Daily practice in the morning (08.30 – 08.45) and during lunch breaks (11.25 – 11.50 for grades 4-5 and 11.55 – 12.20 for grades 1-2-3).
- After school club open to all ES students (grades 2-5). Wednesdays 15.30 – 17.00. This session includes lesson and practice. Teacher in charge: Vasileios Parginos.
- An after school intermediate class (The Bishops) is for selected students who wish to improve their chess skills and participate in tournaments. This session includes lesson, practice and homework assignment. Fridays 15.30 – 17.00, Teacher in charge: Vasileios Parginos.
- An after school coaching class (The Rooks) is for selected students who achieve success in chess tournaments and often participate in national competitions. This session includes lesson, practice and homework assignment. Thursdays 15.30 – 17.00, Teacher in charge: Vasileios Parginos.
OFS organises tournaments and events throughout the year. Last school year we ran:
- OFS Individual Championships 2016 open to all MS & HS students (November 2016).
- OFS Individual Championships 2016 open to all ES students (December 2016).
- A simultaneous display match with 50 students playing against 5-times World Champion Viswanathan Anand (March 2017).
- Students vs Teachers match (March 2017).
- Family Tournament event (May 2017).
Additionally, OFS will host and participate in the 58th National Inter School Team Tournament, organised by the Singapore Chess Federation, with more than 800 students participating.
Some of our students also take part in other national or international individual tournaments.