Mother Tongue Program
Retention and Development of Mother Tongue is essential for students learning in English
It is in the dominant language (usually Mother Tongue) that higher level thinking takes place.
- If Mother Tongue plateaus or declines, higher level thinking declines also.
- This is especially pronounced in very young children.
Many students require Mother Tongue for later study in their home country.
- Older students often retain reasonable oral language skills in Mother Tongue, but written and grammar skills decline considerably, often to the stage that they cannot access their home universities.
- Overseas Family School has expanded its support of a wide range of Mother Tongues, taking advantage of our considerable additional facilities at the Pasir Ris campus.
This program will be well resourced.
- Four sessions per week, in Kindergarten (from Pre-K2) and Elementary School.
- Integrated into the academic programs.
- All features of any other subject, i.e. Assessment, homework, reporting, etc.
- Will focus on reading, writing, listening, speaking and culture. Courses to include literature in Mother Tongue.
- Will be an additional choice for parents, instead of foreign language study.
- Will not involve an additional fee.
Teachers will be:
- Native speakers of the language, with teacher training and degree earned in the home country.
- Qualified to teach in the home country.
- Fluent also in English.